Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Hi, 2017

I don't do a monthly recap on the blog, partly because I'm lazy and partly because there isn't usually much to say. But I was inspired by Jamie's If We Were Having Coffee feature (which was inspired by someone else!) to start doing more personal posts on here. And what better way to do that than to recap my month in LIFE instead of just books and blogging? So Checking In will be a monthly feature on here that will help you guys get to know ME better, and hopefully you'll start sharing your own stories with me. :)

*****

Guys, can you believe we got here? After the trash hellfire that was 2016, I think we were all a bit relieved to get out of the year, no? Even though, since the election ended, I've also been dreading it. It marks the start of four years under this presidency, and I am scared. I'm worried. I'm anxious. And I'm white, so this won't even affect me as much it will others. But I have hope, not much, but it's there. And I refuse to believe that the world is gonna end or that we'll end up in a dystopian novel. But with this impending scary time, it's made it abundantly clear to me how badly I need to take care of myself: physically, mentally, and emotionally.

I've been practicing a lot of self-care lately, and it's helped quite a bit. Most of my self-care involves binge-watching TV shows, snuggling/playing with our cats and dog, but it works for me. Not nearly enough, but enough to where I feel like I can breathe without this knot of anxiety over the future weighing me down. Reading would normally have been added to the list, but after the election, I could hardly find the energy to escape into books. I got into a huge slump with it, but I think that's finally over now, and I'm looking forward to reading A LOT in 2017. But as much as this self-care has been good, it's also still a crutch because I'm NOT taking care of myself as much I should.

I've never been good at this, which is why it's taken me awhile to even write this post. Because it's another failed year, you know? I may have gotten better in some aspects (i.e. confidence and assertiveness, especially in a work environment, speaking up about how I'm feeling even when people might not want to hear it, being more independent), but I'm still stuck in this sort of aimlessness that hasn't helped the anxiety I've had about the next four years at all. So, 2017 is going to be a year for lots of changes! I feel like I say this every year, and I always have these plans for myself. But actually putting steps into practice is what will be the challenge. However, I feel like I'm actually willing to do that this time, and make changes. To how much time I spend on the blog and social media to my lifestyle choices.

I won't be disappearing! And I will still be active, but not nearly as much as in the past. I'm just trying to not let myself go down the road of no return, tbh. So, I'll be a bit more quiet on the personal front moving forward, for now. But I'm very excited to get back to writing posts again, which I haven't really done, since well, now as I'm typing this up. Haha. I had also wanted to write a bit more because this feels so short, but I just don't have a lot to say and I didn't want January to end before I'd reflected on 2016 a little. It was not, on the whole, a good year for me, so I think that's also a reason the post is very... uncharacteristically short. Here's hoping 2017 is better!

I've got a little celebration coming up for the 4th season of The 100, because of course. I've got a week of posts planned that I'm really excited about, and I'm cooking up fun stuff with Shannon and Erica for that. I'm also going to be talking about my time at ALA midwinter in Atlanta this past weekend. GUYS. If you ever get to go to a conference, choose an ALA one, because it is 1,000% better than BEA. I can't wait to share recap with you, and I'm so very excited about the books I picked up. I still haven't been reading a WHOLE lot, but I'm loving it and will continue to let myself be chill in this regard because it's so much better for me. :) Other than that, I'm not sure what I'm gonna do! I haven't thought that far ahead, so I hope you'll stick with me as I try to make 2017 another good year of blogging.


I hope 2017 has been going well for you guys, so far! I wish you all a good year. Let's talk soon. <3