Welp, I was going to post this one yesterday, but I didn't finish it and didn't have time to do that before work. So, I ended up switching posts. But it still works out the same because these next few days are ALL about The 100 on my blog. And I definitely had to write about why you guys should be watching the show if you aren't already. :D
(a few spoilers, so tread carefully!)
(a few spoilers, so tread carefully!)
2. The partnership between Clarke and Bellamy. The co-leaders of the delinquents, and the co-leaders of all Arkadia, tbh. Whether you ship them romantically or not, you cannot deny that the relationship between the two of them is one of the key components of the show. The chemistry between them is pure magic, and I've loved the development of their relationship over the course of the show. It's everything to me.
3. It's not afraid to get down and dirty. I mean, in episode 1 of season 1, Jasper gets speared. In episode 3, little baby Charlotte becomes a murderer. The show just gets steadily and progressively darker. And not in a bad way. The writers are not afraid to dig deep into humanity and life. They're not afraid to show the ugliest. But while there's been a lot of pain and darkness, there's still light and hope. I love that.
4. The actors are fucking AWESOME. Not only are they some of the best talent in the business (and no I am definitely not at ALL biased here :p), but they're fun, unique people who you wish you were friends with IRL. Lindsey is a gift to the world, and I love that she speaks up about politics and is so pro women. Bob holds babies at events/conferences. Ricky, Sanchin, Richard, and others speak up about political issues, too. Henry Ian and Devon were at a protest over the Muslim and immigrant ban. They are all such precious human beings, and I'm so happy this show brought me to them.
5. Character development is on point. I'd had some issues with season 3 in regards to characterization. But as everything unfolds, you start to appreciate how deep they delve into their characters' feelings and thoughts, and how they're not afraid to make them hit rock bottom, so that they can build them back up. And they're still able to make these people relatable even in a post-apocalyptic and futuristic world. The darlings really make the show what it is, tbh.
6. It has diversity rep! There are main POC characters, some who identify on the LGBTQIA+ spectrum, disabled rep, and mental illness exploration. It's not always perfect; it's been problematic (i.e. one of the first people to die is a black guy, killing Lexa off *right after* an intimate and lovely scene between her and Clarke). But with all the shows out there, I think it's one of the few trying to do a good job with representation. And I can't even begin to express how much it means for so many to see a bisexual leading character who is not demonized for her choices and for being attracted to men and women.
7. It is empowering toward women. Guys, how many shows have you watched that haven't reduced female characters to love interests, rape devices, fridging, etc? As like with the diverse rep, it's had a few issues before (i.e. the fridging of Gina to further Bellamy's story along). But the women in this show LEAD it. They are the core strength and heart of everything that happens. #bitchqueensforever <3
8. It just keeps getting better and better. This is pretty subjective, and seasons 2 and 3 definitely had rocky moments, but ultimately I think the writers of the show keep outdoing themselves every episode. I never have any idea where the storyline is going, and even when I try to make predictions and sometimes hit it right, I'm always in for surprises. It's such an interesting premise, built upon these fabulous characters and their survival in a land that keeps trying to kill them.
I feel like I probably have more reasons, but I'm running out of steam and these are the BIGGEST things that have kept me coming back for more, even when I'm in pain over what's happening and my faves dying. And omg I'm so excited to watch season 4's premiere later tonight/tomorrow. IT'S FINALLY HEREEEEEE.
Do you guys watch The 100? Do you agree with these reasons? If you haven't tried the show yet, OMG WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH YOUR LIFE.