Monday, March 20, 2017

Bookish Bingo: Winter Edition Wrap-Up

I'm pretty late recapping this round, WHOOPS. I didn't do as well as I'd hoped, but well, given the reading funk I've had since 2017 started, I did better than I could've done. And that's what counts. :D As always, this challenge is hosted by Bekka @ Pretty Deadly Reviews. It was for the months of December through February, and the next one has just started for March through May!


*Green Cover: A Crown of Wishes by Roshani Chokshi
Loved this just as much as her debut, if not more! The banter and relationship between Gauri and Vikram was my fave part. A+

*Alternative Format: Here We Are (Feminism for the Real World) edited by Kelly Jensen
I've never read an anthology like this, with not only letters but artwork and lists and fun comic strips. It's also a must-read for ANY woman, not just feminists.
 
*Set Abroad: Written in the Stars by Aisha Saeed

This is such an important book because it gives you a very real and honest look at modern arranged marriages. I didn't love it, but I definitely think more people read it. 

*Sequel: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
My FAVE of the series, hands down. All the feels with the marauders (except fucking Wormtail) and the OT3.

*Own Voices: The Weight of Feathers by Anna-Marie McLemore
Anna-Marie has quickly become one of my favorite authors. Though I didn't LOVE this, and definitely not nearly as much as WTMWO, I still enjoyed it. I cannot wait for her next novel (Wild Beauty out in October).
 
*Banned Book: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Is this still considered a banned book/series? I honestly don't know anymore, but I'm still counting it. I started my reread in December and ended it in February, and it was FABULOUS.
 
*2017 Debut: Daughter of the Pirate King by Tricia Levenseller
THIS WAS SO FUN AND BANTERIFIC. It's not like mindblowingly amazing or anything, but I freaking loved it and I can't wait for the sequel.

*Pink Cover: We Are Okay by Nina LaCour
This cover isn't totally pink, but OH WELL I STILL WANTED TO ADD THIS BOOK. Anyway, it was really good and sad and emotional and gah why do things hurt so much.
 
*Not YA: Stone Song by D.L. McDermott
I still liked it, but it was not as good as the other two books in the series. I'll definitely be reading the next, tho!
 
*White Cover: The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
Not even the least bit surprised this book made the NYT bestseller list. It is THAT GOOD. Plus super important! And you will just fall in love with Starr and her family and the other characters in the story.

*Dec, Jan, Feb Release: The Valiant by Lesley Livingston
I thoroughly enjoyed this book! I loved the badass MC, the female friendships, the ancient Rome setting. The only thing I didn't love was the romance. Wah, wah.
 
*Survival: Under a Painted Sky by Stacey Lee
This was SO FREAKING GOOD. I've become such a fan of Stacey Lee's books, and I hope she never stops writing, esp historical fiction. Love how she mixes fiction with the past.

*Blue Cover: If I Was Your Girl by Meredith Russo
I liked this one, and the romance, but I didn't love it. And I just don't have a whole lot to say about it, but YOU SHOULD ALL READ IT ANYWAY.

*LGBT: Cam Girl by Elliot Wake
I love Elliot Wake's books so much, and I'm so glad I finally read this one. It was another great story in the Black Iris setting.

*Nature on Cover: Wayfarer by Alexandra Bracken
I really loved this series. There was a lot going on in this book, and it was shaky at times, but everything smoothed out by the end.

*Cover Buy: Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
I FINAAAAALLLLLY read this classic children's story, and I gotta say, I enjoyed it. It makes absolutely no sense, but that's the whole point. And it was fun!


Missed Squares
 *Romance
 *GR Choice Nominee
*Science Fiction
 *Crime
*Super Hyped
 *Twitter Poll
*Unreliable Narrator
 *Urban Fantasy


 So excited for the new, fresh board! Hoping to hit all the bingos. :D Have you guys read any of these yet? If so, what did you think of them? Let's talk!