Monday, March 6, 2017

Where in the World Have I Been?

I don't do a monthly recap on the blog, partly because I'm lazy and partly because there isn't usually much to say. But I was inspired by Jamie's If We Were Having Coffee feature (which was inspired by someone else!) to start doing more personal posts on here. And what better way to do that than to recap my month in LIFE instead of just books and blogging? So Checking In will be a monthly feature on here that will help you guys get to know ME better, and hopefully you'll start sharing your own stories with me. :)

***** 

Well, nowhere exciting, I can tell you that. However, I WAS away from my blog and social media for most of February, and it was a number of things that fell down together at once. In February (and March), I tend to hit a downward spiral. I struggled so hard, to find the energy to do things when I got home from work, to keep in touch with people. I have been the fucking worst at responding to messages and texts. I feel so far removed from the community in general right now, and it's not exactly a fun feeling. This community was what once pulled me back into things, but now it's been reversed, and real life is not only taking precedence but where I'm being a lot more social. It's WEIRD. But anyway, it's not like it's been just one thing.

Work has been incredibly rough and stressful right now. We have a huge client that we basically put as the #1 priority when they get their act together and send us their proofs. This is a printing and media company, but I work in the packaging department, so we have to WAIT for jobs to get to us. This client likes to keep us waiting, and then when we finally start packaging it, we're usually behind on their deadline, and it pushes everything else we need to do back. Let's just say, the management fucking sucks here. So, we worked a weekend to get that done. But what's happened since is that because that job went out late, EVERYTHING ELSE is going out late. We're so behind on it all, and we keep being asked to work Fridays and longer hours.

I don't really mind the extra hours. I just have an issue with the way we're being treated by the upper management. A LOT of this has fallen on my (2nd) shift's shoulders. And I don't blame my boss, because she's feeling everything 10x worse than we are. She knows that she's asked a lot of us, that she keeps asking for more, but none of us are mad at her because it's not her fault. We're mad because 1st shift tends to take the easy stuff and things just keep getting fucked up with jobs thanks to the terrible management and "organization" going on. And because we're 2nd shift, and 8-8:30 p.m. is the last time of the night something can get shipped out, we're getting pushed and pressured into not taking breaks until then (and that's a long time to go without food!)

It's been chaos everywhere, and I hate it, and so many of us are just d o n e with this company. I'm worried because two of my cousins are gonna leave within the year, at least, if not sooner. One of them has like one foot out the door, and I don't want her to leave because she's been the person who has kept me like grounded and it's been a comfort to have her around. And we've gotten a lot closer since I started working at the company, and I worry that when she leaves (because at this point, it's a certainty, not an if), we'll find ourselves back to a lukewarm relationship. And I definitely do not want that again, because she's one of the closest people I have in my life, and I've LOVED working with her, and many others!

I actually have some small semblance of a social life now thanks to this job, so I know I'd be okay without her there. The few times I've been able to go out with some of my cousins and coworkers during lunch or after work has been immeasurably helpful in keeping the stress at bay. It's been so fun, to be able to rant about things but also become removed from what's happened in the last three weeks, if none of us want to even THINK about work. I've had good chats with good people. But it seems to be that it's the only thing I've wanted to do, and when I get home and on the weekends, I just tend to stay in my room and read or watch (currently) Bob's Burgers and Moana. Have you guys seen the latter yet? IT'S AMAZING AND THE SOUNDTRACK IS A+.

My birthday's coming up, and it's not a big one. Just 24. Still on the young side of my 20s, but it's another year of not feeling quite happy with where I'm at in my life. But I went out to eat with my family and my brother's girlfriend on Sunday (lunch at my fave restaurant and then Pokemon hunting afterward because that's how we roll. HAHA). And I think the people at work will make it fun this week. It's on Thursday and since I doubted I'd get away with asking for it off since we're still so busy, and I don't have anything better to do, I don't really care that I'm coming in on my birthday. I'm not big on the celebration anyway, tbh. I never have been. But it makes me feel really appreciated and loved when people make me excited about it.

So yeah, I know I've been quiet here. I know I haven't responded to comments or commented back. I know that I've pulled away from social media a lot recently, but I'm still completely into blogging and this community. I enjoy it so much, and being at ALA had renewed so much of that passion and happiness I feel when I blog. I just haven't felt like writing posts or interacting lately. But I will get back to it. I've got a few other posts coming up this week (a fun giveaway and a review of The Valiant), so I feel like I'm finding my way out of this life slump at least a little bit. Thanks for sticking around. :) I appreciate it so much. Truly. And thanks for the kind words about my WIP and my time travel post. They were really fun to write. More of that to come, I promise!


I hope you guys have had a good February. <3