Thursday, April 27, 2017

My Foray Into Graphic Novels

I've really wanted to start reading more graphic novels recently, especially the ones I mentioned on a Top Ten Tuesday back in February. So when I was pitched a few books from First Second (an imprint of Macmillan), and they sounded super interesting, I could not pass up the opportunity to give them a try. And I'm so glad to say that I really enjoyed them all!

*****

Title: Spill Zone (The Spill Zone, #1)
Author: Scott Westerfeld
Publisher: First Second
Release Date: May 2nd, 2017!
 
My Review!
This was REALLY weird, and goddamn creepy. I figured it would be, but wow. Not sure if that's in a good way or not. I think this will definitely appeal to people! But not sure if it'll be for me. I appreciated the main character, Addison, and how protective she was of her sister. I loved that they had each other, even when they didn't have answers to what happened to their parents in the spill. And I AM intrigued to see where the series is going, and I want to know what REALLY happened and what exactly is going on here. There are meat puppets (which ew), cats that talk, and lights that give you nightmares. However, there are no explanations, and I WANT THEM. But I never want to see that doll, Vespertine, again. *shudders*
RATING: 3 Paw Prints!



Title: The Nameless City (The Nameless City, #1)
Author: Faith Erin Hicks
Publisher: First Second
Release Date: April 5th, 2016!

My Review!
Oh my gosh, this was so ADORABLE. It was a starter book, to get us familiar with the world that Faith Erin Hicks has built, and to introduce the characters we'll see and who will be important throughout the series. I loved Rat and Kaidu, in particular. Kaidu is an outsider, and Rat is a Named, born and bred in this city that changes names. It's a city of many different people, from many different cultures, but there is no unification. I think that's going to be a big part of the series, especially in the sequel, when Kai's father's plan is going to be enacted, a plan that encompasses all people, even the Named. It was a very fun story, and even gave me some feels (Joah and Rat, MY HEART). I'm very excited to continue with The Stone Heart!
RATING: 4 Paw Prints!



Title: The Stone Heart (The Nameless City, #2)
Author: Faith Erin Hicks
Publisher: First Second
Release Date: April 4th, 2017!

My Review!
I am LOVING these books! I'm honestly sad I have to wait so long for the 3rd and final one, The Divided EarthI'm so happy I took a chance on these, because the illustrations are gorgeous and the story and the characters so rich in detail. I just freaking adore the friendship between Rat and Kaidu. Their playful banter and bond despite the fact that he's Dao and she's of the Nameless City. I wish there'd been more scenes with Hannya and Iniko, because that one was great and funny. I adore Rat's relationship with Joah, and would love to see more development with the one between Kai and his father. Though it's short and there is very little text, these characters feel real and multifaceted, even the "villains." I WANT MORE.
RATING: 4 Paw Prints!

*****

As for graphic novels in general, I'm still unsure where I lean. I've like enjoyed all that I've read (which is only like 4 of them, so I definitely need to try more), but I also think I might still prefer stories? Illustrations are fabulous, of course, and they are used to tell the story. But sometimes I miss the words.


Do you guys read graphic novels? What are some of your favorites? I'm definitely here for recommendations. :D