Wednesday, April 26, 2017

#ReadADessen Campaign: Keeping the Moon

Today I'm very excited to be participating in this cool campaign that Penguin Teen has cooked up. While all the books will be featured, I'll be talking about Keeping the Moon, which was sent to me by the lovely PRH team. :)

*****

Title: Keeping the Moon
Author: Sarah Dessen
Publisher: Speak
Release Date: September 1st, 1999!
*Physical review copy kindly provided by Penguin Teen.

From Goodreads...
Never underestimate the power of friendship.

When Colie goes to spend the summer at the beach, she doesn't expect much.

But Colie didn't count on meeting Morgan and Isabel.

Through them, she learns what true friendship is all about, and finally starts to realize her potential.

And that just might open the door to her first chance at love...

 
Music and Friendship
I really liked Keeping the Moon! It was my first Sarah Dessen read, and I can tell you that it won't be the last. It had a very lovely friendship at the core of it. The main character, Colie, had always been on her own for much of her life, with just her mom for company. And she's never known a warm embrace from a good friend. But with Isabel and Morgan, she starts to open up more and discovers what friendship means. It was a super enjoyable story, and I can't wait to read more of her books!

Music was such a big part of the book (the characters had emergency dance parties often), and it's a big part of my own life. So for my post in the campaign, I thought it'd be cool to make a music playlist of feel-good songs. Ones about confidence and power, people you love and the joy of life. Songs that you can dance along to and forget that the world can be a cruel place. Ones that make me happy whenever I listen to them. :)


*this is a Spotify playlist, so if you don't have that, you might not be able to see or listen to this, sorry guys!

These are mostly newer songs, because I generally listen to them more often. There is definitely some good older stuff here that I still really love when they come on shuffle or the radio. And I would have more on the list (especially some T-Swift!! IF SPOTIFY HAD HER MUSIC ON THEIR SITE), but I think a lot of the songs I love wouldn't be categorized as feel-good or something you can have an emergency dance party to. Some of my absolute favorites are more on the emotionally charged side. But yeah, I hope you enjoy this playlist! I'm a little nervous sharing it because sharing music is hard when you don't branch out very much, but I think these are all fun and great songs. :)

*****

There is also a giveaway going on courtesy of Penguin. One winner will receive a set of Sarah Dessen's books in PB! 

The Fine Print: 
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Enter between 12:00 AM Eastern Time on April 17, 2017 and 12:00 AM on May 29, 2017.  Open to residents of the fifty United States and the District of Columbia who are 13 and older. Winners will be selected at random on or about June 1, 2017. Odds of winning depend on number of eligible entries received. Void where prohibited or restricted by law.
And here is the schedule of participating blogs! :D
 KEEPING THE MOON 
April 24 – In Wonderland