Monday, May 29, 2017

April Mini Reviews

Title: The Upside of Unrequited
Author: Beck Albertalli
Publisher: Balzer & Bray
Release Date: April 11th, 2017!
*I picked up a physical ARC at ALA midwinter.

From Goodreads...
Seventeen-year-old Molly Peskin-Suso knows all about unrequited love—she’s lived through it twenty-six times. She crushes hard and crushes often, but always in secret. Because no matter how many times her twin sister, Cassie, tells her to woman up, Molly can’t stomach the idea of rejection. So she’s careful. Fat girls always have to be careful.

Then a cute new girl enters Cassie’s orbit, and for the first time ever, Molly’s cynical twin is a lovesick mess. Meanwhile, Molly’s totally not dying of loneliness—except for the part where she is. Luckily, Cassie’s new girlfriend comes with a cute hipster-boy sidekick. Will is funny and flirtatious and just might be perfect crush material. Maybe more than crush material. And if Molly can win him over, she’ll get her first kiss and she’ll get her twin back.

There’s only one problem: Molly’s coworker Reid. He’s an awkward Tolkien superfan with a season pass to the Ren Faire, and there’s absolutely no way Molly could fall for him. Right?



My Review!
I don’t know if I’m going to be able to put into words how much a character like Molly means to me, and to Teen Me if she’d been able to read this story back in middle, high school. But I know I can’t, because it was such a personal book for me. I was sort of expecting that, but not at the level it was. So many moments, I thought: this is me. Molly was so relatable to me. It’s so, so nice to have a fat character like Molly, one who is imperfect and insecure but who still knows she has worth, even if people don’t see it. She doesn’t lose weight to find love. Her self-worth doesn’t come from what guys think of her. At times, she does think about their opinions and she thinks about kissing and sex and dating a lot (what teen didn’t at that age?!?!), but she’s still Molly. Lovable, loud, nerdy, and vivacious Molly Peskin-Suso. Like I’m not even going to touch the negative reviews, but I will say that personally I thought the fat rep was positive and good. I’m so excited for the teens who need this book and who will have it, who need a reminder that their size doesn’t determine who they are. This book isn’t for those who consider it wish fulfillment and think Molly’s story doesn’t matter because she feels confident when she finds a guy who think she’s the sun. It’s for them

RATING:

*****

Title: Missing
Author: Kelley Armstrong
Publisher: Crown Books for Young Readers
Release Date: April 18th, 2017!
*eARC kindly provided by Random House Children's via NetGalley*

From Goodreads...
The only thing Winter Crane likes about Reeve’s End is that soon she’ll leave it. Like her best friend did. Like her sister did. Like most of the teens born in town have done. There’s nothing for them there but abandoned mines and empty futures. They’re better off taking a chance elsewhere.

The only thing Winter will miss is the woods. Her only refuge. At least it was. Until the day she found Lennon left for dead, bleeding in a tree.

But now Lennon is gone too. And he has Winter questioning what she once thought was true. What if nobody left at all? What if they’re all missing?



My Review!
TW: animal abuse/death

Honestly, thrillers aren’t REALLY my thing. I used to be into them, at least in adult fiction, not so much YA. But I wanted to give this one a chance, because it sounded good and I’d heard great things about her previous thriller, The Masked Truth. And I’m glad I did because I was SO into this. It was fast-paced and intriguing, and I had to find out all the answers. I really liked the main character, Winter. She was strong-willed and curious, a fighter. A little reckless at times, but she was not afraid to face down danger to find out what happened to her best friend. And she had the help of Jude, Lennon’s brother, and someone who is more connected to all of this than either of them know. I so shipped the two of them together, honestly. Jude is intense, and quiet, and full of pain from his past. He could be rude and a little cold, but he was 100% with her, and the two of them found comfort and companionship that they’d been sorely missing in their lives. I also appreciated that through him the author tackled some damaging attitudes about gender. I was very invested in their relationship, and it was a big reason why I loved this book. But the mystery was also compelling, and I ended up finishing this faster than I thought I would. Just. Missing was SUPER good, guys!

RATING: