Monday, July 31, 2017

Checking In for the First Half of Summer

I don't do a monthly recap on the blog, partly because I'm lazy and partly because there isn't usually much to say. But I was inspired by Jamie's If We Were Having Coffee feature (which was inspired by someone else!) to start doing more personal posts on here. And what better way to do that than to recap my month in LIFE instead of just books and blogging? So Checking In will be a monthly feature on here that will help you guys get to know ME better, and hopefully you'll start sharing your own stories with me. :)

*****

Well, this is longer than the first half of the summer, but I decided to put this off for a bit. Much has been going on in my work life that I wanted to wait until the month of July was over before I checked in with y'all. So, around the beginning of June, one of my coworkers became our new shift supervisor. Not the coworker we all thought it'd be, but one we were still all good with. At least, I hope it'll be good once everyone settles in with the change. There have been moments of unrest and anger from a lot of people, and this guy had been not really a friend but someone I talked to post-boss title, so it's been a little hard for me personally to manage. It's been tense and stressful for everyone, but it's gotten better lately. His girlfriend is the coworker I'm closest with there too, so we're both trying to figure out a new balance. Should I mention things I've heard from others? Should she mention things she hears from her boyfriend? It's a bit UGH.

My other friend there is our shift lead, so I hear stuff from her too. And it's been good to have the two of them around as our shift hits these snags. We typically spend a lot of time together during work, depending on what jobs we get put on. The company is also starting up a 3rd shift this week, so it'll be really interesting. Or it'll go really badly. The jury is still out on that one, but I don't see the tension slowing down anytime soon. This is a lot of change to throw at our shift specifically in such a short time, and I'm afraid we'll lose even more people than we already have so far. (There are a host of reasons for the recent quitting and firing, but all of this has had a definite negative impact on a lot of people here). I'm doing better with this all than I had in June and early July, and like I said, I've got my friends and I'm still so much happier here than I would be at a different job.

I've been driving a lot more recently, mostly on those longer Fridays we work or when the uncle I carpool with takes vacation days, and I don't even MIND the commute so much anymore. I even drove on a day I didn't have to, just so I could go out after work with people. There aren't big groups anymore, but that's actually better for me, as I feel like you can still have conversations with everyone. I'm friendly with most of my coworkers, and I've enjoyed getting to know some of them a bit more than I have since I started. My shift lead friend had a party last weekend, and it was my first time going to an actual TRUE party. It was an interesting experience. Haha. I mostly stayed by the bonfire, but I had a few drinks, and it was fun after my social anxiety went down. And my friends and I have started making plans for more activities, so while I it's true I don't go out much on weekends, I still have some semblance of a social life! :D

Other than work, not much has been going on. I'm still writing, just not nearly enough. I'd wanted to finish the contemporary WIP redraft before summer ended, but I don't know if that'll happen. My summer has gone by fast, with me reading very little but doing social things with people from work, so I'm not too upset with myself for not doing more. And honestly I'm just so tired of people thinking my weekends are boring or that I need to go out more to be satisfied/fulfilled with my life. I just took the Myer-Briggs personality test and got 99% introverted, so I'm starting to understand myself A LOT more, and I'm done with people commenting on my life as if it's theirs to do so. As if they're owed my explanations or my reasons or my so-called unhappiness. It's aggravating when people think they know best for you. I'm TIRED, guys.

I haven't been blogging much either, and gah. I just don't know. I still love blogging and writing posts and reviewing and just in general this community. I decided to finally participate in the OTSP Secret Sister project, and it's already been a joy. I can't wait to spoil my person and get to know more people better. But as for my blog, I'm starting to feel drained of creativity and passion. This happens at least once a year, so it's not something so huge where I feel like I'm done here, but it sucks because I have all of these books I'M SO EXCITED FOR but hardly feel like reading them. I'm hoping that the reading challenges I signed up for in August will help! But yeah, my summer has been filled with work, weekends of doing whatever the hell I want, and playing computer/video games with my brothers. And I hope that continues because it's been great for me. :)


What has your summer been like, guys? I hope it's been filled with wonderful and fun things and people. Check in with y'all at the end of August!