Tuesday, August 8, 2017

From the Den: July Edition

From the Den is a feature to showcase the books that I don't post reviews for on the blog, whether I liked them or not. I read so many books that never make it onto The Fox's Hideaway, so I wanted a feature where I could still tell y'all about them. :)

*****

I didn't read very much in July, but what I did read was pretty good! I'll be talking about a lot of them later on the blog (hopefully), but I wanted to mention the two below!

Every Heart a Doorway
What a weird but intriguing story! It was so readable, so enjoyable, even when it was creepy and gross at times. This is like Wonderland and Narnia gone so, so wrong. But the worlds were as enchanting as they were terrifying. Not everyone came out of them wanting to come "home" again, which is what Eleanor West's school is for: those who want to go back but can't. Doors rarely ever open again, and all of these children are lost and looking for a way to feel normal, so people will do *anything* to go back. A murder mystery in the paranormal (or urban fantasy???) genre with beautiful prose all wrapped up to make one hell of a story. I liked the characters a lot, and even though it was so short, I felt like I still got to know so many of them really well. And the different places that they all came from were so interesting to learn about, though we don't know nearly enough of them. I cannot wait for the next one!
Rating: 4 Paw Prints!
 

Sinful Temptation 
Aw, this one was cute. I still wish the guys weren't all the same character type, but I'm always a sucker for an overprotective bear. Plus Connor was a feminist, so I loved him even more for not judging Lola and for always making sure she was okay with things. Lola herself was great, and I really liked that she was able to get out of that life and chase her dreams, and that she had a guy who gave her the courage and space to do that. I'm really looking forward to the next one!  
Rating: 4 Paw Prints!


What books did you guys read in July? Have you read either of these before? If so, what did you think of them? Let's talk! :)